Sunday, November 13, 2005

It was a good maintenance seminar

Sunday, Nov. 13, 2005

My “day off” last Thursday was productive and fun. The RV park has wireless Internet capabilities ($4 per day) and I sure got my money’s worth. It was fun reading through emails from friends, took care of a lot of business-related communication, and browsed through websites that are helpful to RV-ers. And I called brother-in-law Bob Lechien to have him handle the details for getting a new vent covers (to replace the lost one and to add a new feature to both my vents) ordered and an appointment to have them installed while I’m in Gardnerville for Thanksgiving.

After getting directions, I set out on my bike to go to downtown Benson. It was several miles each way and I had been alerted to the “big, mean hill” that would really challenge me on the ride back. No problem, I’m in good biking shape (thanks to the Nice People I ride with when I’m at home) – or so I thought. When I got to the top of the hill that drops into Benson, I had second thoughts. It was a very steep grade. I don’t mind coasting down but I definitely would end up walking my bike back up. It didn’t take long to decide to lock up my bike and finishing the trip to town on foot.

Lacking a bike to ride around town, my exploration was limited. I found some interesting information, though. Benson is located about 40 miles east of Tucson. I found it interesting that in 1878 – before the town was founded – an enterprising German who lived in this area built a toll bridge over the nearby San Pedro River! The town, located in the San Pedro River Valley, was founded in 1880 to serve the Southern Pacific Railroad and nearby mining activity. As the demand for copper and silver grew, so did the town. The original six streets were named after the principal mountain ranges and rivers of the region. Safeway, the only real grocery store, is located on one of those early streets.

The maintenance seminar started Friday morning and ended Sunday morning. Thirty RVs were here; many of the attendees are full-timers. One lady, driving the smaller Winnebago Aspect just turned 80! She’s been RVing for nearly 30 years. The most interesting – and most valuable – parts of the event were the presentations by RV technicians. The two men patiently went through all the subsystems in motorhomes and answered all questions. They also spent one afternoon going from RV to RV to help with specific problems. I’m glad I participated.

Today is a much-needed day off. I did three loads of laundry and cleaned my rolling home. Tomorrow morning I’ll head west to Tucson, stopping at Beaudry RV to pick up the jacket I won as a door prize, and doing some RV shopping at Camping World. I also have a Walmart list. From there I’ll head north and probably spend the night at an RV park in Payson. I just checked the weather and it looks like clear, sunny days for the next few days.

Here’s what I found in today’s reading:

Where are you today on your own journey? Are you discounting the significance of your days? Are you sighing rather than singing?

Thoughts are the thermostat that regulates what I accomplish in life. If I feed my mind upon doubt, disbelief and discouragement – that is precisely the kind of day I’ll have. If I adjust my thermostat forward to thoughts filled with vision, vitality and victory, I can count on that kind of day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home