Wednesday, November 09, 2005

The drive to Benson, Arizona

Wednesday, Nov. 9, 2005

Well somewhere between Columbus (NM) and Benson (AZ) there is a white plastic vent cover that belonged to Jeremiah. I didn’t even know it was missing until I was set up at the Cochise Terrace RV Resort and turned the crank to open the vent. Surprise!

I did have a lovely drive today. I left Columbus, stopping first outside the library to check the Internet, and drove east on NM 9. This rarely-traveled road pretty much parallels the NM/Mex border. In about 70 miles, I met only 8 vehicles on the road – along with several Border Patrol and National Guard vehicles, including three tanks! As I neared the Arizona border, I drove 20 miles north to I-10. This Interstate goes through several small towns including Bowie (cotton and pecans are major agriculture crops here) and Wilcox (home of the Rex Allen museum and a Rex Allen statue that features a bronze heart in the interior of the chest cavity. “This was a special request by Rex so his heart will always remain in Willcox.” And this small town has a Dairy Queen!

The entire southeastern corner of Arizona – from I-10 south to the AZ/Mex border and from the NM/AZ border to Benson – is called “Arizona’s Heartland.” This area boasts the state’s largest assortment of direct-sales farms. In season you can buy nuts, vegetables, meats, honey, jellies, and baked goods from roadside stands.

Tomorrow is a “day off” for me – a chance to get some RV chores and writing done.

Here’s the last of the Farmer’s Advice:

* If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing to do is stop diggin'.
* Sometimes you get, and sometimes you get got.
* The biggest troublemaker you'll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every mornin'.
* Always drink upstream from the herd.
* Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.
* Lettin' the cat outta the bag is a whole lot easier than puttin' it back in.

P.S. I have figured out how you can post comments without having to "register", so feel free to post comments, or simply email me: carolinnewmexico@azulstar.com