Saturday, October 29, 2005

If sand cranes could talk, what would they say?


Saturday, Oct. 29, 2005

It's my fourth morning of watching the cranes fly overhead. I'm continually amazed at the whole thing. This morning and afternoon, feeling in a silly, playful mood, I gave the cranes "dialog."


Morning dialog:
Let's go straight south.
Hurry, the other group is catching up and they might beat us to the best place.
Do we have to have corn again?
Stay in the group, no playing until we head back home.
Look, they are headed southeast, have they found a better field?
Slow down, I'm flying as fast as I can. (spoken by a crane that was straggling a bit)
Oops, I'm with the wrong group (spoken by a crane that reversed his flight and went to join a group behind).
I'm only going because I'm hungry.
When does this boring routine end?
I wanted to stay at the lake and order take-out. (spoken by a lazy one)
Come on, you guys. I told you to set your alarm. (spoken by one in a small group that was the last to fly by)

Afternoon dialog:
Yipee! It's time for happy hour.
Here's a good thermal.
I can soar higher than all of you.
That corn sure was good.
This is the best time of the day.
Look at that lady below; she was there this morning taking pictures of us.
Whee! Look at me soar!
My daddy can fly higher than your daddy.
It was a good day, today.

I told you I was in a silly mood. It was cold outside this morning, so as the last of the cranes flew by I was glad to get into Jeremiah and have a bowl of oatmeal. Penny stopped by on her way out and handed me a stack of information - including the Milepost Book - on Alaska. Hmmm. Maybe next summer!?!

My evening reading the past few days have included a stack of magazines, re-reading Barb Thacker's book "Since I don't know where I'm going I'm never lost," and selected portions of Charles Swindoll's "Wisdom for the Way." My current book, given to me by my friend Maria Negri, is "Eccentric Circles - around American in a house on wheels" by Richard B. McAdoo.

I also had a back issue of Motorhome Magazine where I read a poignant column by William C. (Andy) Anderson (no relation to me). In his column, written shortly before he died at age 83, he encouraged readers to:

"Get out, hit the open road, visit new places, meet new people, and you'll find that your life has been much richer, happier and fulfilled. And you will have chalked up some marvelous memories in your memory bank to draw upon when you finally hang up the RV keys."