Sunday, January 22, 2006

Break out the shorts and t-shirts - I'm in warm weather again

At least for the next couple of days I'll be warm. I think it is safe to say that I won't have really cold days or below freezing nights until I get back to New Mexico! Yuma's winter weather was downright chilly - days and nights. Even the snowbirds, who usually expect warm weather in Yuma, were complaining. Today I'm in Anza-Borrego State Park, and it was a nice really warm/but not beastly hot day. I enjoy this RV park because the spaces are spread out; not packed in tightly like they are in so many commercial RV "resorts".

I had a nice, and fairly short drive from Yuma to the Borrego desert. When I arrived, the ranger told me a search-and-rescue operation was going on in Palm Canyon, and the trail would be closed until the rescue was finished. Search and Rescue teams, including dogs, were combing the area for two hikers who were overdue from a "day" hike they had started the day before. The female was brought down about 2 p.m., and the male was found and brought down about 5 p.m. Both were in good shape - surviving a cold night and lack of water.

Once I was settled into space 43, I took a walk along the park roads and then unloaded my bike and rode to the visitors' center. This afternoon I met Iris - a single woman traveler from Canada. I also enjoyed meeting and talking to Beth who is a parks volunteer at the kiosk where campers and day-use visitors check in and pay fees. Beth and her husband are from the East, spending winters here at Borrego as volunteers.