Monday, January 16, 2006

Hunkering down in Benson

Nobody has things just as he would like them. The thing to do is to make a success with what material I have. It is a sheer waste of time and soul-power to imagine what I would do if things were different. They are not different. Frank Crane (American actor)

Given my druthers, I’d like the drive from Percha Dam to Benson to be super interesting, with lots of things to ooh and ahh over. But, that’s not the case. About halfway between Hatch and Deming, I always wonder about the “Middle of Nowhere Bar and Café.” I stopped one time, and not only is it in the middle of nowhere, there is nothing inside to remark about. (see photo)


The most fascinating part of the drive is going through Texas Canyon (between Willcox and Benson). For a few short miles, boulders are scattered and stacked – often precariously. Several huge ones look like they could topple down onto the Interstate at any moment.

Tonight I’m parked at Cochise Terrace RV Resort outside of Benson.

I have already modified my itinerary in order to be assured an RV parking space in Yuma that is near the old downtown where the Lettuce Festival takes place. I plan to arrive in Yuma tomorrow (Tuesday) afternoon. This will give me five days to explore the Yuma area.