Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Cat and the Bunny Rabbit – AKA Bunny’s Big Adventure

July 30, 2008

There’s never a dull moment – whether on the road or at home.

Let me set the scene:

It’s a lovely day outside, both front and back patio doors are open so Cat can wander at will. I’m in the kitchen fixing lunch – when suddenly I hear the unmistakable sound of Cat running. I look toward the motion and see that Cat is chasing something small and brown; and by the time I get close, I see she has a very young – and unhappy – bunny rabbit in her mouth.

I’m closing in on Cat, saying NO! PUT THAT DOWN!

Remarkably, Cat drops the bunny that then scurries under the recliner chair. And I’m sure I heard Cat say, “Darn it, you’ve spoiled my fun. I just wanted to play.” as she tries to get under the chair. I swooped Cat up and closed her in a room.

With a broom and the nearby patio door wide open, I tried to get bunny to come out. Instead she went in another direction – into my bedroom. That little thing – just old enough not to be with momma rabbit any longer – is quick, and has an uncanny way of squeezing into small places. I opened the bedroom patio door and wielded the broom again. Did she run out? I think so.

Cat is out of her prison, life goes on as usual. I finish fixing lunch, and carry it to the table. What did I see? Cat and Bunny having a stare-down. Cat is put back in prison and the broom and I get to work. After about 20 minutes and numerous hiding places, Bunny dashes out the door. And I retrieve my disappointed Cat.

She really just wants to play - in the past she's brought home a toad, mouse, dragonfly, and a couple of birds. She also tries to catch flies and moths. She's never killed any of them - just enjoys the chase.

And I finally sit down to lunch – disappointed that I didn’t think to take photos.