Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Last day of my Midwest Adventure

Aug. 16, 2006

What a difference in temperature! For the first time since arriving in Kansas – seems like a long time ago – I was actually chilly last night. No break from humidity, though, because of the rain. Today I have been cleaning house, working on my To-Do List once I get home, and getting some writing done.

I like being on the road – Jeremiah is easy to drive and I get to see lots of interesting things, but a non-travel day is surely welcome from time to time.

And I’ve been reading. My current book is “The Old Man’s Letters” by Michael Reisig, letters from Jake Strider to his son. One letter tells about a way to get rid of skunk odor. This caught my attention as a result of Larry’s son’s episode. So Larry if it happens again – or if any of my reader friends need to know – here’s the recipe for neutralizing skunk odor:
Take one quart of 3% hydrogen peroxide, 1/4 cup of baking soda and one teaspoon of liquid soap. Blend well and soak all affected areas, then rinse. You may need to multiply the formula several times to cover a large dog or a person, but it virtually extinguishes the odor. Warning: this cannot be bottled or it will explode.

My To-Do list is pretty long, and with an Aug. 25 travel date, I’ve decided to head home a day early. There’s not much to do here at Conchas. The sky is darkening and the Ranger says there will be thundershowers again this evening. Cat was adventuring outside earlier and now is content to nap. I’ve put the celebratory “home again” champagne in the refrigerator to enjoy tomorrow evening.

The storm clouds danced around the area, but rain never materialized. Dinner is over, I’m settled in to finish reading my book – it is well worth reading. God has furnished an awesome sunset to end the day and my trip. It's been 3,900 miles and I've been traveling for 8 weeks. What an adventure!
















I’ll end this blog adventure with a quote by Eeyore in Winnie the Pooh:

This writing business.
Pencils and whatnot.
Overrated if you ask me.
Silly stuff.
Nothing in it.