Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Yippee! Space #3 became available

I went to sleep last night thinking of the quote I added to the end of yesterday’s blog entry; and this morning read this quote by Pastor Chuck Swindoll:

“Patience and waiting is good – up to a point. We can get so good at waiting that we never act. We yawn and passively mutter, 'Maybe, someday” as we let opportunities slip away. “Not this year … but maybe someday.”'Don’t wait. If you continue such passivity, someday will never come – and you’ll regret it for the rest of your days.”

A turning point in my life – when I stopped saying “someday I’ll…” – occurred when I was 50 years old. I had just sold my successful wholesale business and gave myself the gift of one year without working. During that year, I had the bittersweet gift of taking care of an aunt as she was dying of lung cancer.

During her last few weeks, we laughed, we cried and we had some deep philosophical conversations. On my flight back home I promised myself two things: that I would not put things off and that time to do things is more important than working just to earn money to buy more “things.” And I’ve kept those promises.

My friend Nancy Griffin sent me a quote that has been added to those I keep posted within view.

I don’t want to get to the end of my life and find that I lived just the length of it.
I want to have lived the width of it as well. –Diane Ackerman

Knowing that on Friday I would have to either move into a primitive site or leave to find a commercial RV park, I was keeping an eye on the three unreserved sites here. Site #1 was being saved for a NM State policeman who would be here in case extra security help was needed over the July 4 weekend; Site #2 was occupied by Betty and Gilbert and hey weren’t sure when they would leave. Site #3 had been paid-up until Friday morning, but the camp hosts said they only paid a few days at a time. Moving to another site in order to stay three more days didn’t look promising.

Just as I was about to fix lunch today, I saw the RV from #3 driving out. They were leaving a day early. After getting an OK from the camp host, I quickly walked down and put my chairs in the space to hold it, and then I unhooked, stowed and moved.



I like #3, and so does Cat. It is located in a very private-feeling place. Between the layout of the sites and the trees and bushes, I can’t see any other RVs. So, why does Cat like it? I let her outside to explore several times today. She is refining her tree-climbing skills – she’s surprisingly good at it despite the fact she has no front claws. The highest she’s gone, at least when I’ve been looking, has been about 10 feet. She goes out for 30 minutes or so then comes in to drink, groom herself and sleep. What a life!



My afternoon? Sit outside to read and watch birds, take short walks to Lake Alice, to the beginning of Deer Run Trail or simply around the campground to visit with other campers. What a life!

I am blessed.