Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Hiking “Opportunity Trail”















Ranger Pat recommended hiking the Opportunity Trail. She said it would 6-plus miles of picturesque high country. On the map it appears to be a huge circular route that would take us alongside Lake Maloya and through an area of Ponderosa pines.

Having just been “huffed” by a bear yesterday, Hilda and I were a bit leery as we started out on the well-marked trail bordered by dense growth on both sides. Along the way we did see some bear paw prints and a pile of fairly fresh bear scat – but no bears. We saw tracks from deer and elk; and would have walked right by a turkey if he hadn’t noisily scurried off into the bushes. The weather was perfect for hiking; we took time to enjoy the surroundings.

At Lake Maloya we stopped to take pictures. PHOTO 2

After having lunch in Raton, Hilda headed back to Albuquerque, and I settled in to work on my writing projects. I’d write a while, then head out to walk around and visit with other campers. I met up with Betty and Gilbert who live in Raton and frequently camp here in their 5th wheel RV. They were full of information about this small town.

I also had a delightful visit with camp hosts Tim and Denise. I was most interested to hear about the “walk across England” trip that they took in 2005.

Cat and I sat outside a while – well, I sat while Cat explored. I continually marvel at my adventuring soul – places I’ve been and places yet to go. I remembered an important thing I copied several years ago. I don’t remember where I read this, nor who wrote it.

LIFE IS SHORT
Too many people put off something that brings them joy just because they lack time or are too rigid to depart from their comfortable routine.
Because Americans cram so much into their lives, we tend to schedule our headaches. We live on a sparse diet of promises we make to ourselves when all the conditions are perfect.
Life has a way of accelerating as we get older. The days get shorter and the list of promises to ones self gets longer. One morning, we awaken, and all we have to show for our lives is a litany of “I’m going to,” “I plan on,” and “Someday, when things are settled down a bit.”
When you worry and hurry through your day, it is like an unopened gift thrown away. Life is not a race. Take it slower. Hear the music before the song is over.
Life may not be the party we hoped for; but while we are here we might as well dance. – author unknown