Tuesday, November 18, 2014

10 Days at PVSP

God arranges opportunities to remind us to slow down and think about what’s important in life.

Ten super days here with no park responsibilities. Sunny days with cold nights – woke up today to 25-degrees outside. Been reading, walking, and making new friends. Two Elks' lodges – Silver City and Alamagordo – were here with nearly 30 RVs and lots of nice folks.

Seems like the days flew by. I read two books, had lunch in Palomas at the Pink Store with former park heritage educator (Sylvia) and lunch twice at the Patio Cafe in Columbus. And in keeping with my “once a campground host, always a campground host” I introduced myself to several single campers and then introduced them to each other. Interesting people and fun to visit with.

We were all intrigued when a small red – obviously homemade – trailer pulled by a red truck arrived. That was Ray from Albuquerque. I wandered over to see the trailer and took photos. Ray says it is a work in process – and likes showing it off.



This park is the first one where I volunteered – and consider it 'my park'. And because park staff is behind on yard work, I decided to get rid of all the tumbleweeds in the section where I parked. So, with a long-sleeved shirt, jeans and sturdy leather gloves on, I got busy. They pull up easily and one of these large, ball-shaped and stickery plants covers a large piece of desert. I pulled and piled them, and then park workers hauled them off. A rewarding afternoon.

What's next?
I leave in the morning and drive to Arizona where I'll visit with friend Ann Martin a few days before driving home to Prescott Valley. The traditional Anderson Thanksgiving will be at my brother's home in Tempe (Phoenix area). Life is super! I expect to be back in New Mexico mid December.

Here's food for thought to close this brief blog entry:

Success depends on the degree to which you are at peace with yourself. If you have people around you who love you, and you have peace with what you’re doing, it doesn’t get any better than that. --Og Mandino