Wednesday, June 09, 2010

I have a new traveling companion

I’ve been warned not to befriend strangers, but I couldn’t resist and figured that it would be OK this time. And, now Cat and I have a new traveling companion.

Here’s another photo of him – you can see he looks sad without a name, so please email me your suggestions. (CarolinArizona2@aol.com).

My campground neighbors, Judy and Don Reams, invited me to go shopping with them. After a stop at Walmart, they next stop was at a large antique shop downtown. That’s where I saw my new friend – he called out to me and pleaded with me, “Take me with you, it’s boring here and I’m lonely. I’ll be a good companion; I don’t snore and I’m not fussy about meals.” Of course, I can’t resist smooth-talking guys.

I’m in love --

-- with Lancaster Camp Ground along the Hocking River in Ohio! (Makes up for the less-than-wonderful RV parks along the way.) I’ll be at this delightful and beautiful place for two nights.

The Camp Ground facility was started in 1872 by the Methodist Rev. William Holliday as a local "camp meeting". First he located it in Logan Ohio, and then moved it to Carroll, Ohio, for five years. In 1878 he moved it to this permanent site in Lancaster, Ohio. For 20 or so years, it stressed a strictly evangelism oriented camp meeting.

In 1892 the Chautauqua Movement was introduced into the program.On the grounds of this historic Methodist campgrounds there are numerous unique buildings including the Hotel Woodside (built in 1884), The Tabernacle a huge hexagonal building (built in 1881) that has a small auditorium, small grocery and cafeteria. In 1895 a new, larger auditorium was built (closed for serious repairs in 2005; fundraising campaign is on to raise funds).

Many of the Camp Meeting Chautauqua enthusiasts who arrived loved the area and stayed. Early dwellings were tents. In the late 1880s cottages began replacing tents. There are about 250 cottages left of the four hundred or so that once were here. Cottage owners come from all over the United States – some live here full time. Don Reams told me about summer visits to his grandparents’ cottage.

The camp ground was a popular place for Christian retreats and summer Bible school. School bands came here for camp, using a football-sized field on the property for drill and half-time program practices. The grounds include tennis/basketball and croquet courts, shuffleboard, swimming pool, snack bar, chapel in the pines, and nature trail.

In 1995 the RV camping area was set up with 24 RV sites.

My timing was good; I arrived Tuesday in time to enjoy the camp's monthly potluck dinner. I met lots of super people.

Tick update
My tick site is looking OK, but starting to itch. Locals say don't scratch it because no matter what I do, it will continue to itch for a few days. Bummer. Just one more adventure!

The Midwest is hogging the rain

No wonder there isn’t much rain in the southwest, the Midwest is hogging it. It started raining during the Tuesday evening potluck, sending folks to their cottages and RVs. It rained off and on during the night and continued until nearly noon on Wednesday.

Thursday’s travel

Tomorrow afternoon's drive will be 20 miles to Gwen and Jim Young's Century Farm in nearby Somerset. I met them at Pancho Villa State Park several years where we were volunteers.