Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Almost time to move on…

… and not a moment too soon. It is really hot here this week. Outside temps in the 100s. Inside Jeremiah, with AC going full blast, window shades pulled, cab curtained off and bathroom door closed. It is 5 p.m. and Jeremiah’s inside temp won’t go below 91 degrees. Unfortunately, this volunteer campsite puts my motor home broadside to the sun. Don't let those trees in the photo fool you. There are no trees anywhere near Jeremiah's driver's side.

This heat reminds me of my 11 years counting Big Horn Sheep at Anza Borrego Desert State Park (California) over July 4 weekends. It was even hotter and we were out in it day and night for four days. Sat under a large tarp each day and slept in a tent at night. Plus, each day entailed three miles of trudging on the hot sandy and rocky trail. That's where I learned to love water - nothing else (except a cold beer at the end of the day) would quench my thirst. Hot, but what memories!

I leave early Tuesday morning and head north to Rio Rancho/Albuquerque area where it will be cooler. I’ll stop midway at my favorite café – Acosta’s in San Antonio (New Mexico) – for a green chile cheeseburger.

It’s been an interesting time here at Pancho Villa State Park. This is the first time I’ve been here when the campsites are so empty and visitors to the park’s Exhibit Hall are few and far between. Under these circumstances, my skills and abilities have been able to ‘take a vacation.’ There has been no opportunity to use my customer service and problem solving abilities and no need to task my organizational skills. My Anderson work ethic, energy and stamina have only been valuable for keeping trees watered and for cleaning cactus patches between 6 and 8 each morning.

I have read plenty of books and worked a bunch of crossword puzzles, made several trips into Mexico for lunches, dentist, pharmacy and optometrist. Today, Jeremiah got a top to bottom cleaning inside. Sunday and Monday mornings will be spent giving Jeremiah a spit bath and stowing tools, hoses, etc. to be ready to travel.

Cat has been plenty lethargic in the heat. She convinced me to let her drink from dripping water in the bathroom sink. When she wants some, she leads me in, hops up alongside the sink and waits for me to turn the water on so it drips.


I have two more all-day shifts (7 hours) in the visitor center on Thursday and Friday, and then two 1-hour lunch-hour shifts on Sunday and Monday. More book reading!